Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A Day with the "Boys Only" Club

Let me tell you about my day.

First of all, you know how stressed I am about my non-job situation, right? Well, imagine the luck I felt when a company called a couple of days ago asking me to come in for an assistant editing position. Immediately, I looked up the classified to reaquaint myself with the job requirements. Holy crap, I had no experience with half of what was listed. Well, they called me! So, they must think I'm capable enough to handle the job! I googled what I didn't know, found one easy to learn, and the other wasn't even goog-able or wikipediable. Must be their own company term. Oh well! In any case, I planned on preparing for this interview and being ready for any sort of test they may throw my way.

Completely nervous this morning. I hide my nerves well, though. The guys seemed happy with my background and happy that I could start anytime soon. I was happy that the shifts weren't crazy hours and that benefits were included after a 90-day trial period. Leaving there with a positive outlook, I headed home for a much needed nap and chill day.

11:30am ~ the company calls. It's HR. She tells me that the guys liked me, there was a ton of work, could I start NOW? I had JUST changed into my comfy yoga pants and tank top. "Sure! I can be there by 1pm," I reply.

12:30pm ~ I'm there. That's right. EARLY. This SHOULD be appreciated. I get the tour, start learning the ropes, do a few things on my own, talk to a couple of guys. One of the guys tells me that coming into this assistant editing job, he knew NOTHING. "So, you should be fine since you have some background," he tells me.

During some of the downtime, I look around the asst. editing room and notice that all the movie posters are chick posters, there are tons of x-box games (not that I have anything against that! ;-)), and on the opposite wall was the standard boys' dart board. Hmm, I'm thinking they brought me in JUST to have a little bit of estrogen in the room.

5pm ~ things REALLY slow down. Perhaps I can go home... Nope! I'm sent off to take a dinner break. They're not even sure if they'll be work when I come back. Well, I take advantage of that time, go to Quiznos and The Coffee Beanery for some much needed coffee.

6pm ~ still no work for me to do at the office. However, the two upper/head assistant editors have an interviewee who's coming in, and they're waving his resume around in my face! Soon, they start ragging on his resume, on his probable exaggerated job titles/duties, his two years spent working at Starbucks, and the fact that he didn't go to college. Oh, and did I mention they were ALSO ragging on him for being late?! and coming up with random questions to ask him just to see if he was lying on his resume.

Should it have surprised me that as they came back from the interview, they were completely jazzed about this guy, the head of post production/operations/whatever gave the assistant editors a thumbs up and asked "So, what do you think of this guy??? I think HE'S it! He's Number One! ...and he's so cool!" This was immediately proceeded with the head assistant editor turning to me and saying "Charlene, I don't think we'll be needing you tomorrow, but I'll put you on a list. Thanks for dropping everything today and coming in."

Well, they have their boys club back. Good riddance. I've never seen such unprofessionalism.

No comments: