Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Just Call Me Haley!

Haley...the cute girl from this season's American Idol who Simon said was cute, but not memorable. I rooted for her because - well- her voice amidst the powerful female voices of AI is how I see my voice amidst what's popular on Broadway today (sweet/classic voice vs. pop/rock voice). And last night, I saw it all come to fruition...this time in an acting class.

"Your outfit is so cute! You look VERY 'irresponsible'; great choice! But I need [xyz in acting] from you." Good lord...how do I put this? I don't want to say that I'm God's gift to acting; I'm still refining my craft. I'm currently researching and moving forward and finding places where I can grow and break through these blocks. But I seriously felt like Haley up there. 'You're cute, but hon, you need some work with that talent' (paraphrased into my own exaggeration, of course).

Then again, it could've just been the scene that didn't work for me. The first two weeks, I didn't receive one criticism from her.

In any case, I think in the end, I'm glad to hear the criticism, rather than a re-direction and a "gooood..." and not knowing if it was simply a polite statement. She made me aware of what I already knew, and it's now simply a reaffirmation, and a stronger push to find something even sooner to make me really focus on making my craft better!

The recent news before last night: I have a POTENTIAL commercial agent. He seemed interesting/a character, but nice and was interested in representing me...I'll be calling later today to see if I can schedule an interview. He didn't give us much info during the Q&A about his agency, so in an attempt to find info, I emailed some of the actors he represents to get their opinion and to find out if he's been sending them out on enough auditions. Two responded, and both said that he was interesting/nice, but he hasn't done much for them.

My other piece of news is that I'll be interviewing with Beverly Hills Playhouse tomorrow afternoon (info on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Playhouse). I found out about them as I was researching the above mentioned agency, checked out the website, and their classes, style of teaching, and instructors seemed perfect! Just what I need to kick my butt into real acting. Not to mention, one of the beloved evil characters from Days takes classes there. ;-)

Other than that, today has been all about getting acting errands done ~ thank you cards, postcards, getting postcard stamps, calling and making appointments...and of course, making a stop by Starbucks, where today, my name is Sharmane.

So...call me Haley...or Sharmane. Whatever you please...though I really don't know who Sharmane is.

No comments: