Saturday, January 03, 2009

Holiday Updates

Happy Belated Holidays! Hope it was great for everyone! Mine were...interesting to say the least. It started on a worrisome, somewhat down note, but ended with happiness!

On Monday, December 8th, I received news from my mom that my grandmother on my dad's side was just in a car accident with one of my aunts, and they weren't sure if my grandmother would make it. It was her 97th birthday. My mom and a majority of the family headed up to Canada; my dad had already been there for a few days to celebrate my grandmother's birthday. She made it through two surgeries that the doctors said she had a 1% chance in surviving, but even if she made it through the recooperation, they said she would live the rest of her life in pain. She passed away on Sunday, December 14th, after the last grandchild who could make it had arrived. She was a very healthy, strong, alert, and sweet lady. An accident seems to have been the only way to take her spirit to a better place...otherwise, she would've kept going! :-) We'll miss her, but at least she's back with her hubby on the other side.

During all of that, I had headed home to Richmond on Friday, December 12th. Sharon picked me up from BWI Airport, as it's become our tradition, and we caught up on the ride down south. Sharon left the following day, and the stillness of the house had me completely thrown off. I rummaged around my bedroom, looking for my old NKOTB treasures. I found a few things here and there, and while it was EASY to stumble on NK memorabilia I had forgotten about, a majority of what I was looking must certainly be in the attic.

Just as I became comfortable with the silence of the house, neighbors started inviting me out for dinner. I had already gone out with my friend, Brandon for dinner and a grocery shopping trip. I was set with Marie Callendar frozen foods and deli meats until my parents came back! I thoroughly enjoyed the time alone, but couldn't dismiss their invitations. Two out of three of those frozen foods are still in my parents' freezer.

My parents returned on Thursday, December 18th, both tired, but happy to be home. My dad was sick with 3 infections...and I was on the verge of a cold. My mom eventually caught it, but stopped it from getting any worse. It was a cozy, coughing household. ;-) We were all well enough, though, to celebrate Christmas with my aunt, uncle, and cousin from King William.

Andrew came to visit on December 26th. He walked in on a visit from my bubbly, sweet Auntie Melba, Uncle Gerry, and Auntie Lomen. They jokingly called this "The Auntie Inspection." Andrew passed with flying colors. ;-)

The next day, Andrew spent the afternoon strolling in Carytown ~ a charming, historic part of Richmond with unique shops and restaurants. That evening, my parents took Andrew and I out for dinner. While I wanted to introduce Andrew to the yumminess of Maggiano's, we had to settle for The Cheesecake Factory, as Maggiano's had a long wait. Once home, we had more of my dad's apple pie, then decidedly settled to watch episodes of "The Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother." Before I went to get my iPod, Andrew asked me to give him 5 minutes. I knew this was the time. He was going to ask my dad's blessings for us to marry.

I heard him go right in and say that he's never done this before and that he loves me very much. My mom heard my dad reply that I think the world of him, too. And gathering the rest of the story from Andrew, he asked my dad for his blessings, and my dad responded positively, of course. ;-) He said that he had a feeling that it would be coming soon, and he knows that Andrew will take good care of me. He appreciated that Andrew came to him. They continued to talk about marriage in general, living in L.A., and I don't know what else. My mom and I were keeping ourselves scarce and trying to listen in ONLY to hear if they were done "talking."

My mom came up to me after she had finished cleaning up the kitchen and whispered "Are they having a 'man-to-man' talk???" I whispered back "Yes! Andrew's asking for permission to marry me." I went on to explain that he had told me of his plan last February or so, and that he wanted to do this in person, not over the phone. So, I knew that it would be happening during the holidays, but I didn't tell her because I wanted her to be surprised, too.

Finally, my mom gathered that the conversation had come to its completion. I re-entered the den with my iPod that contained an episode of "How I Met Your Mother." My dad got up for a bottle of wine and wine glasses, saying that we were going to toast. My mom slyly asked "For the new year?" My dad returned, poured our glasses with wine, and announced "Andrew just asked me for Charlene's hand!" Since Andrew had told my dad that we had been talking about marriage for a while now, and that I knew he was talking to my dad about it, the announcement really didn't ruin any sort of "surprise." They welcomed Andrew "aboard," and we toasted. Quite a surreal, milestone moment.

We left the next day for Baltimore to spend time with Andrew's family. Most of whom were sick with the stomach flu or eye infection. Our first night, we had a crabcake dinner at Michael's, where we had our first date 3 years ago. We've managed to visit Michael's each time I've been to Baltimore with him. The following day, we walked around Baltimore Harbor and had Starbucks coffee in Barnes & Noble, located in Baltimore's old power plant. Dinner that night was at the Papastephanou's. The night ended with a meetup with two of Andrew's old friends in Fells Point.

Off to L.A. the next day, December 30th. And while a flight across the country can generally be unexciting...we were bumped up to first class on the second leg of our trip, and it was my first time in first class! My personal highlights of first class perks: warm nuts and a warm chocolate cookie!!! :-P Couldn't end the year better...with the exception of what was to come.

No comments: